Caithness and North Sutherland is undergoing a major economic and social transition process, from a nuclear- dependent economy to a diverse economy supporting a wider range of sustainable employment opportunities. CNSRP is a partnership of the main public sector agencies / authorities with a remit to address the socio- economic effects of decommissioning at the Dounreay site.
The Partners are:
The area’s aspiration is that:
“By 2020 Caithness and North Sutherland will provide a healthy, economically stable environment for its growing population. Its network of thriving communities will reflect the area’s rich heritage and varied landscapes. The area’s population will be well-educated, highly-skilled and outward-looking, reinforcing its attractiveness as a place in which to live, work invest and visit.”
To achieve these aims the partners have prioritised their resources around the Caithness and North Sutherland Action Plan, with the key activities focused upon the energy and business services sector, from where we expect the most significant employment opportunities to come.
Actions will focus on the following:
- Work with existing area businesses in the energy and business services sectors to help them diversify and grow their businesses.
- Deliver a targeted programme of inward investment activity focused on energy-related opportunities such as marine renewable energy, oil & gas
- Deliver a targeted programme of inward investment activity focused on business services-related opportunities such as data centres, contact centres and higher-skill back office functions.
- Support the delivery of key enabling infrastructure such as ports and harbours, road, rail and air transport, skills transition and digital connectivity.
The partners have set the following (full-time equivalent) jobs targets for 2014-17:
- Between 138 and 197 jobs in the Energy sector.
- Between 62 and 80 jobs in the Business Services sector.
- Between 12 and 22 jobs in the Tourism sector.
- Between 15 and 25 jobs in the Food & Drink sector.
- Between 22 and 45 jobs in other sectors such as life sciences, creative industries, manufacturing.
- Up to 110 jobs in local market activities